What analyses are available?
- Microclot analysis: Microclots are microscopic blood clots that are often found in various diseases, including Long COVID, ME/CFS, and type II diabetes (Pretorius et al., 2020). These microclots resist breakdown and remain circulating in the blood.
- Platelet pathology analysis: Platelets are the smallest component in the blood and they are essential in blood clotting (Periayah et al., 2017). In patients with pathological clotting, platelets are often hyperactivated.
Why are these analyses helpful?
These analyses help doctors visualise and understand clotting in a patient and helps them decide whether their clotting is pathological. Based on this, doctors are able to prescribe treatment to patients.
Time needed for analysis
Checking for the presence of microclots and assessing the platelet pathology takes roughly two hours each, as the samples need time to incubate before the analysis.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to have both my microclots and platelets analysed?
You can decide to analyse only your microclots, only your platelets OR you can have both analysed. However, it is usually recommended to have both analysed, as it gives doctors a better understanding and overall picture of what is happening in your blood.
- How do I make a booking to have my blood analysed?
For now, you can make a booking my emailing [email protected]
Please make the subject of the email “MICROSCOPY”. In the email, please briefly state which microscope analyses you would like and we will confirm what date you are booked in for. In future, we hope to set up an online booking system that is more convenient.
NOTE: Blood analyses will not be performed unless a booking has been made.
- How does the process work?
On the day of your appointment, please arrive at the clinic (Wertgasse 35, Mülheim an der Ruhr) between 08:00 and 09:00. You will be asked to sign a consent form, pay for the analysis upfront, and your blood sample will be withdrawn.
- How much blood is drawn?
Only one tube of blood is taken.
- How long does the analysis take?
The results of the blood analyses should be ready from 14:00 onwards and will be made available to Dr. Jaeger once completed.
- What do the results include?
It will include 12 example microclot images and/or 12 example platelet images from your blood sample. The laboratory staff will also classify the results based on our classification system. This helps patients understand the severity of their results. Moreover, example template images are also attached for patients to compare their results to. Lastly, a brief explanation of the analyses is provided.
- After the blood analysis, am I able to make an appointment with Dr. Jaeger?
To discuss your results with Dr. Jaeger, a separate appointment must be made by calling the clinic’s reception (0208 94132403).
- Does insurance cover the cost of the blood analyses?
For now, many insurance companies do not cover the cost of the blood analyses.